Sunday, October 7, 2018

What my love for my Pet Yorkie Zeke teaches me about the Father's love

1Jn 3:1a  "See what great love the Father has given us that we should be called God’s children"

Jesus introduced the fact that we are God's children and He is our Father. In fact, Jesus called Him Abba Father, which is similar to our affectionate term "papa." My wife calls me papa when ever she is referring to my relationship to Zeke and quite frankly, I consider myself his papa. I spoil him and love him and in my eyes he really can do no wrong.... even when he does wrong :)

I make this point because when we think of God as our father, I think we make the analogy of a loving human father, and that is fine to do, but God is so far above us that the comparison breaks down in reality. This is why I think that my love for Zeke, and my relationship with him is so instructive in understanding the Father's love for me and for you.

Zeke can be very selfish and yet, still I love him. I am getting to the age where I take naps frequently, and Zeke usually takes them with me. If he is laying on the bed, in front of my pillow, often times he will not move, and if he does it is with pained reluctance, and yet still I love him.

He will make messes sometimes and I just clean them up and still I love him. Why, because the things he is doing are just natural to him being a dog.  Occasionally he will tear up paper some where and I simply clean it up and continue to love him with all of my heart. Why, because he is just doing what he was created to do and I love him because I have chosen to love him and he has a special place in my heart.

I often hear the Spirit reminding me of the Father's love for me as I think about my love for Zeke in the various circumstances that come up. Right now he is curled up at my feet laying content because he knows that I love him, I feed and water him, I protect him from danger, I take him to the vet to keep him well. I have no way of knowing exactly what his cognitive capabilities are, a lot of the time he seems to be able to understand more that one would think he can, but none the less, because I am a human with speech, and the ability to drive and work, and because I am in a position to take care of him it seems that I am advanced in capability beyond him, not to the degree of course, but not unlike the Father's superiority over me.

I have no ill will against him at all. I have no desire to punish him. I merely want him to be safe and secure and to trust and love me. That, I believe is exactly the way the Father feels about you and me. I am writing this because I want to be able to express the way that I believe the Father truly loves us and rebuff the idea that he is out to punish at every instance. That He demands perfect obedience and adherence to the Law.

So, there is a lot to learn from my love for Zeke, and I hope you have benefited from my insight.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Paul the Mystic, Paul the Rabbi: A confusing dichotomy that is detrimental to the mystical message.

 2Co 12:2-4   "I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago—whether in the body I do not know, or whether out of the body I do not kno...