Thursday, June 6, 2019

The peace that passeth understanding... surpassing peace.

Php 4:6-7 CSB  "Don’t worry about anything, but in everything, through prayer and petition with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  (7)  And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus."

Living worry free is a tall order. I would say beyond any doubt, that naturally, on one's own, it is impossible to do for an entire life span. But, I can testify that at times at least, I have tapped into the peace that surpasses all understanding, and it is only because of lack of focus, that I do not experience it all the time. Herein lies one of the most important aspects of the gospel of Jesus Christ. In fact, I believe that it is the most important aspect of the gospel. I am pretty much a universalist. I believe that Christ's sacrifice was efficacious for all. Oh, I have not ruled out the remote possibility of annihilation of unbelievers. I suppose it is possible. I have ruled out, and for sound biblical reasons eternal punishment and torture. However, the question invariably arises, "if you were right and all benefit from the death, burial and resurrection of Christ, what possible reason is there to preach the gospel?" The answer to that question is the gospel, properly proclaimed, understood, and believed produces a peace that surpasses all understanding.

It is sad that there are not more fellowships that would allow saints to gather, and contemplate the great gift that the gospel of Christ provides and affords. The pristine gospel produced this peace that surpasses all understanding. By pristine gospel, I mean the gospel taught by the first century apostles Paul being chief among them. I am constantly reminded of Paul's words recorded in Romans 5:1 "Therefore, since we have been declared righteous by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ." Peace with God is the peace that surpasses all understanding. The pristine gospel is meant to encourage and assure.

Knowing that one is not on a working contract with God that determines favor is ultra important in having the peace that surpasses all understanding. It is not the way that seems right unto man. It is easy to think that one is on a working contract of sorts with the Father and that is utter nonsense in view of the pristine gospel of Jesus Christ. God was in Christ, reconciling the world to Himself not counting trespasses and short comings. He made Jesus to be made sin so that those resting in the gospel could become the righteous of God in Him Jesus.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Paul the Mystic, Paul the Rabbi: A confusing dichotomy that is detrimental to the mystical message.

 2Co 12:2-4   "I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago—whether in the body I do not know, or whether out of the body I do not kno...