Saturday, August 29, 2026

Reimagining Galatians 2:20 — The Faith of the Son of God Gives Me a New Understanding of Faith


There are passages of scripture that become so familiar that we eventually stop reading what they actually say. Galatians 2:20 may be one of them. I have heard it quoted throughout most of my Christian life: “I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but it is Christ who lives in me.” The verse is usually interpreted through the familiar evangelical framework. Paul has died to his old sinful self, Jesus now spiritually lives inside him, and the life Paul continues to live is sustained by his personal faith in Jesus as the Son of God. But after thinking about the Logos, the indwelling Christ, consciousness, and the distinction between the Me and the I-AM, I find myself wondering whether something much deeper is occurring in Paul's language. What if Paul is not primarily describing believing something about Jesus? What if he is describing an awakening in which the divine reality he calls Christ has become consciously operative within him?

The remainder of the verse is what suddenly opened this possibility for me. Paul says that “the life I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God.” Many modern translations give us some variation of “faith in the Son of God.” But the Greek construction contains a genitive: pistei...tou huiou tou theou—faith “of the Son of God.” There is a legitimate scholarly debate about how that genitive should be understood. It can be interpreted objectively as human faith directed toward Christ, or subjectively as the faith or faithfulness belonging to the Son. Grammar alone cannot mathematically settle the question. Nevertheless, translating the phrase “faith in the Son of God” is already an interpretation. It is not simply reproducing the Greek without theological judgment. I increasingly suspect that generations of translators have sometimes read Paul through theological assumptions already formed about what Christian faith is supposed to mean. If Paul means the faith or faithfulness of the Son of God, Galatians 2:20 begins to look very different.

The immediate context makes that possibility even more compelling to me because Paul has just said, “Christ lives in me.” I do not understand this to mean that the historical personality of Jesus of Nazareth has somehow taken up residence inside Paul's body. I distinguish Jesus, Christ, Son, and Logos even though they profoundly intersect. Jesus is the historical human being who, in my understanding, became the paradigmatic manifestation of Logos. Christ describes the anointed expression or realization of that divine reality. Logos is the eternal divine self-expression through which everything comes into existence and through which humanity possesses life and Light. Whatever other relationship I might personally entertain with Jesus as a daimonic or imaginal presence is another question entirely. That is not what I mean when I speak of the indwelling Christ.

Paul's statement becomes especially interesting when placed beside the Gospel of John's description of Logos. John says that everything came into being through Logos, that in Logos was life, that this life was the Light of humanity, and that the true Light enlightens everyone. If I take those statements seriously, Logos cannot be something possessed exclusively by Christians. The Logos precedes Christianity, precedes the historical Jesus, precedes humanity, and even precedes creation itself. Human beings do not acquire Logos by accepting a theological proposition. We exist through Logos. The difference is not fundamentally between people who possess Logos and people who do not. The difference is between participation and recognition, between unconscious participation and awakened participation.

This is where Galatians 2:20 begins to take on an entirely different meaning for me. Paul still says, “the life I now live in the flesh.” Paul has not disappeared. His embodied personality remains. In the terminology I have developed elsewhere, the Me continues to live. The Me is Paul the Jew, Paul the apostle, Paul with his memories, personality, education, conflicts, relationships, strengths, weaknesses, and particular history. But something has changed in the center from which that Me operates. “It is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me.” Perhaps Paul is describing a shift from identification exclusively with the surface personality toward conscious participation in the deeper divine reality already present within him.

This connects naturally with my distinction between the Me and the I-AM. The Me is the incarnate experiencer, the temporary personality through which this particular life is encountered. The I-AM is the deeper conscious agent beneath that personality. Yet even the I-AM does not exist independently of the ultimate ground of reality. I understand it as individualized participation in universal consciousness, grounded in Logos. In that sense the movement might be described as Logos flowing through the I-AM into the lived experience of the Me. The Me does not become God. The individual does not become the totality of Logos. Participation is not identity. But the awakened person begins living consciously from a deeper ground than the isolated ego.

Then Paul's “faith of the Son of God” becomes extraordinary. Faith may not originate primarily in the Me struggling to believe something strongly enough about an external Jesus. Faith may belong to the deeper divine reality in which the person participates. It is the faith of the Son becoming operative within the awakened person. This would make Paul's two statements mutually illuminating: Christ lives in me, therefore the life I now live can be lived from the faith that belongs to the Son. Faith moves from being merely an object-directed belief—my faith in someone—to a mode of divine participation—the faith of the Son becoming active within me.

This is where my mind connects Paul's language with the remarkable statement in the Gospel of Truth that the name of the Father is the Son. I am not suggesting that Paul read the Gospel of Truth, nor that its author necessarily intended my metaphysical interpretation. I am noticing a resonance. If the Father represents the ineffable Source, then the Son can be understood as the expression or Name through which the unknowable becomes knowable. The Father in himself exceeds every human description; the Son makes the Father expressible. This fits remarkably well with my understanding of Logos as God expressed without exhausting what God is. It also fits the triunity of reality I have been developing: the ineffable Source, Logos as divine self-expression, and manifested experiential reality.

Seen from that perspective, “Son of God” can carry a significance larger than simply a biological-sounding title attached exclusively to Jesus. Jesus reveals the Son paradigmatically because Logos becomes extraordinarily transparent through his life. But the Logos through which Jesus manifests the Father is the same Logos John says enlightens everyone. This allows me to ask whether the faith of the Son might likewise belong to that universal Logos reality. If so, the potential for this faith is already present within humanity because Logos is already present. What varies is awakening.

That distinction matters enormously. I am not saying that every person consciously lives from the faith of the Son simply because Logos enlightens everyone. John himself prevents such an easy conclusion. The Light shines, yet darkness does not comprehend it. Logos is in the world, the world comes into existence through Logos, and still the world does not recognize Logos. Presence does not guarantee recognition. Participation does not guarantee awareness. The faith belonging to Logos may therefore be universally available while becoming consciously operative in the awakened person.

This also changes what I mean by salvation and spiritual transformation. Instead of imagining God as entirely outside us and faith as the psychological effort required to reach toward God, perhaps awakening involves discovering the divine ground from which we have always lived without recognizing it. Faith then becomes less an achievement of the ego and more a quality that emerges as the ego relinquishes its claim to be the whole self. The Me learns to live from the I-AM, and the I-AM recognizes its participation in Logos.

Suddenly Galatians 2:20 sounds less like a doctrinal formula and more like the testimony of a mystic. Paul has undergone a transformation in consciousness. The old center has been displaced without the human person being destroyed. He still lives “in the flesh.” He remains embodied, individual, and particular. But he no longer experiences that surface identity as the deepest source of his life. Christ lives in him. The faith by which he lives is no longer necessarily something his isolated self directs toward a distant divine object. It may be the faith of the Son arising from within the divine ground in which Paul has awakened to participation.

I cannot claim that Paul consciously held the entire metaphysical framework I am placing around his words. That would simply replace one form of eisegesis with another. But neither am I willing to assume that the conventional translation “faith in the Son of God” exhausts what Paul could have meant. The Greek leaves open something more radical, and the participatory language surrounding it encourages me to explore that possibility.

Perhaps Paul was telling us something Christianity has too often externalized. Perhaps faith is not entirely ours to manufacture. Perhaps Christ is not merely someone outside us toward whom belief must be directed. Perhaps the divine Logos already illuminates the deepest ground of human consciousness, waiting to become recognized and consciously lived.

If so, I can hear Galatians 2:20 differently now. The Me still lives its life in the flesh, but it no longer has to live as though it were separated from its Source. The awakened I-AM participates consciously in Logos, and from that deeper ground emerges something the isolated Me could never manufacture on its own.

Not merely my faith in the Son of God.

The faith of the Son of God, alive within me.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reimagining Galatians 2:20 — The Faith of the Son of God Gives Me a New Understanding of Faith

There are passages of scripture that become so familiar that we eventually stop reading what they actually say. Galatians 2:20 may be one of...